Thursday, December 30, 2010

Igift?

In German, the word Gift means poison!

(A friend of ours wondered one time why a lady in the store gave her an odd look when she noticed “baby gift” on her shopping list!)

Anyway, I got a great gift for Christmas. My son (we exchanged names this year) -- at my request -- gave me a new MP3 device.  I quickly got my NLT Bible and the audio version of John on it. Wow -- amazing tool -- portable and ready at all times.

But it can be so much more. Unlike its poorer cousins, this one features APPS!

Thousands and thousands of apps! Lots are free, you can download them and suddenly -- another time sucker! Another distraction. Another substitute for reality and authenticity.

A device to remind me to worship my God! 


Or…something else...to keep me far from His presence. 

This morning 1 John 5:21 came home. Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts. (NLT)

1 comment:

codyandliz said...

Good stuff to think about, especially when paired with Marty's sermon which I read this morning. I have definitely been thinking about how we spend our time and how we SHOULD spend our time. It certainly helps to have some "grounding" tools like the Voice of the Martyrs newsletter that reminds me just how abundantly blessed we are with time and money, no matter how much more others around us have.

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend