Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Face of the Father

Working on 3 messages on Luke 15, I've been struck again how we've consistently misnamed the story of "the Prodigal".

After all, Jesus' reason for the 3-part parable was to answer the murmuring Pharisees who clearly were possessed of a twisted view of God. The shepherd and his lost sheep, the woman and her coin and the father with his missing son are Jesus' clear Word, to them and to the r
est of us (we've also got twisted views!) about God.

He's a Father with a great heart for lost people.


Psalm 103 says it: the Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will He harbor His anger forever; He does not treat us as our sins deserve, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from Him. As a father has compassion on His children, so the Lord has compassion on His children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. (vv. 8-13)

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend