Thursday, September 17, 2009

The rare value of a good sidekick!

Reading a great book by Neil Cole (Search and Rescue, Becoming a Disciple Who Makes a Difference) I was reminded of a scene in Lord of the Rings. Describing the futility of being lone ranger Christians, and needing "sidekicks" Cole paints the picture of Frodo and his faithful companion, Samwise, collapsed on the side of Mt. Doom in their attempt to destroy the dark and evil ring of power. Alone in a dark place, surrounded by evil and hiding from the ever watchful eye of the dark lord, it was Frodo's task to get the ring to the end of the journey where it would be destroyed. Sam tries to encourage Frodo by describing the beauties of home in the Shire. But there was nothing Frodo could see but the dark lord's evil eye. Finally, faithful sidekick Sam spits out, "Then let's be done with it! I may not be able to carry it [the ring] for you, but I can carry you!" And Sam lifts Frodo up onto his shoulders and proceeds one step after the next up the steep climb of loose rocks, with his friend on his shoulders.

Sidekicks
in life and ministry are exceptionally rare, therefore of highest value -- imagine the kingdom impact if everyone had one, and was one. (cf. Exodus 17:12)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree and thank the Lord for Anne Mansfield walking with me as we lead the youth Sunday School. God bless that girl!

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend