Friday, October 2, 2009

Serving

Ray Stedman alludes to a thesis of an old book, The Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life; in it, a group of psychologists -- decades ago -- proposed that television was at the root of Americans forgetting how to serve. Stedman says: “perhaps in a Christian congregation this is not nearly as evident as it is in the world at large, but we face it also in the body of Christ.”

Jesus said that He did not come to be served, but to serve and to give Himself as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45, Matthew 20:28) Stedaman wrote, the source of true richness and fulfillment is in serving, not being served. When we demand to be served, always have something titillating our senses; “the end is loneliness, emptiness and ultimately despair”. The proof of that is visible everywhere today.


Imagine the influence if a group of Christians simply determined to connect what Jesus connected in that statement: serving and reconciliation. I wonder how a people who've forgotten what serving looks like would react if they saw it lived like He lived it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The quote about TV being at the root of us forgetting how to serve stopped me in my tracks. I know how horrid I get when my kids interrupt my TV time and I actually have to get out of "entertain me" mode and go into "what do you need?" mode. I've done some extra serving outside our home this week and it's been a blessing to those served and our family. But I know how easy it is for me to not want to serve in my own house... I'm glad you're still thinking along the "random acts of kindness" path. I look forward to my time at the Mission next Sunday with the girls.

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend