Monday, April 5, 2010

The Exquisite [and Deadly] Nature of Excuses, Part III


The Spiritual Nature of Excuses
  • Excuses keep my focus on the temporal instead of the long-term and eternal (1 John 2:15, 16)
  • Excuses justify spiritual impotence and sterility.
  • Excuses deny the power and motivation of God's Spirit in my life.
  • Excuses mitigate against faith (meaning I give in to fear and no risk-taking) and they bolster human reason.
  • Excuses keep people deceived regarding what are the real values, aim and purpose of their lives.
  • Excuses keep (especially males!) silent and abdicating leadership. They keep us out of the game.
  • Excuses render marriages, families, churches and organizations fruitless.

2 comments:

Hiserote's said...

I see excuses as a bi-product of pride. We can't/won't admit that we are at fault and look for something or someone else to pass the responsibility to.

The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."

Dean O'Bryan said...

Yes, the original excuse of man.

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend