Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Exquisite [and Deadly] Nature of Excuses, Part V

Recognize them in the light of Truth
James instructs that "to the one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." I need to regularly confess my excuse-making for what it is -- confession is agreeing with God and in this case, moves me to no longer provide myself with an "out". How much would I learn and see change, if I would confess and take responsibility for my past actions, for present habits (like being habitually late or "blowing off" appointments or commitments) and realize honestly that what I do today (or do not do) impacts the future.

Commit to take action
Deny power to an old enemy: passivity -- that characteristic so common among men, but also one which has now invaded the Western Church for generations. Passivity has become the new "spirituality" (I'll wait until God speaks to me....until I know it's God's will....I get motivated....I want to....I get around to it....I have more time....I get better equipped....I know Scripture better.)

In accountability relationships, agree to take responsibility seriously and then hold each other responsible to plans

Excuses are always "anti-accountability." Once we begin to come to grips with our passivity and begin taking action, the next fortress to fall will be: unwillingness to be intentional, to set measurable goals, to being just willing to take the next step. What if we would begin to agree together -- we will stop blaming others, our environment, our lack of time, skill, money or capacity. We won't any longer feel free to do as we please and still get excused (like a lazy jr. high student from P.E.) -- excused from -- excellence, from behavior honoring to God, from serving others, from engaging in evangelism, loving God and people and pursuing hard the purpose of God for our lives.

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend