Saturday, August 1, 2009

Grace at the Table

Jesus shared the Last Supper with Judas. He offered it to Judas, even knowing He'd already determined to betray Him. Jesus invites me to the table too. He knows all about me, as much as about Judas, but He still loves me and invites me there. I like the story of the Scottish girl who came in from the Highlands to the city of Edinburgh, started hanging with the wrong friends, and soon was living an immoral life. It was against all she'd learned as a kid in Sunday School and Church; one Sunday she slipped into a church covered with shame and need. They were celebrating communion that day, and when a sweet old deacon came by with the plate, she shook her head sadly and said: "I can't take it. I'm too unclean." The old deacon, well versed in the Gospel, whispered: "All the more reason to take it lassie. It's not meant for saints. It's for sinners. Not worthiness but willingness, that's the issue."

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend