Monday, August 10, 2009

Wrong Number?

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ
so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)


I was reminded last week of a sweet little elderly lady we knew in Kansas City. She came to mind, because -- I had a note to call the cell phone number of a man who had called a few weeks earlier, asking what small groups we would offer this Fall. We've got our list together -- and it's a good one! -- so I called. But, I was one digit off (the older I get the more dyslexic!). When another name was on the voice mail, I knew what I'd done. I didn't leave a message, but hung up and redialed correctly. A couple of hours later, the "wrong number" called me back -- in a hesitating voice, (having called a "church" -- and we know how much fear there is in that!) he said, "someone called my number....?". I explained I'd dialed incorrectly -- and he -- again with almost sounding sad, said, "okay" -- and that's when the little lady from Kansas City came to mind. She got more telemarketers and "wrong number" callers calling her than anyone in the Midwest! And regularly, sitting in her room in a nursing home, unable to get out much, she shared Jesus Christ with nearly all those callers! And in the prayer time, she'd share, often, how another one had come to faith, because of calling the wrong number!

Christians used to term those "chance" meetings divine appointments-- God arranged meetings! I wonder why we don't think like that anymore!

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend