Monday, August 17, 2009

How far can Christ reach?

The film "Amazing Grace" (2007) chronicled the life and cause of William Wilberforce. He fought for most of his life to end the British transatlantic slave trade of the 19th century.

Wilberforce had made an earlier visit to his old pastor and friend John Newton. Newton was captain of a slave ship prior to his conversion to Christ. Wilberforce had earlier hoped that Newton would write an account of his slave ship days -- but he refused -- because the experience and the "20,000 ghosts" haunted him too greatly.

Near the end of the struggle to end slave trade, Wilberforce visited Newton and discovered, that the one who had written "Amazing Grace" had now written his full account. His eyesight now gone, Newton tells Wilberforce, "You must publish it. Names, records, ship records, ports, people—everything I remember is in here. Although my memory is fading, I remember two things very clearly: I'm a great sinner, and Christ is a great Savior."

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend