Friday, July 3, 2009

Barometers of Authenticity

In some cases, the Bible tells us plainly -- it other cases, it alludes to them -- barometers or markers of an authentic spiritual life. They include:

* Our mouths -- "out of the heart, the mouth speaks." It shows me up for what I am, especially in those unguarded moments when something pops out!
* Fruit -- certainly including the character issues (the fruit of the Spirit); Jesus said that we could recognize the spiritual reality of people by the kind of fruit they bear.
* Humility, the one particular fruit unknown to the Flesh -- Jesus made Himself of no reputation and took on the form of a servant. Chip Ingram mentions in Good to Great in God's Eyes one of the books that marked him was The Beauty of Holiness: Humility. How easy, and how common it is to let pompous pride pervade the spiritual life (at least the 'public' forms of it) and so grossly ignore Jesus' example. We are not greater than our Master.
* Use of money -- my attitude toward it and my use of it; Jesus said my heart and my money are going to occupy the same place. What a character revealing commodity money is!
* Relationships marked by love -- by this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. God's gracious spillover -- love, mercy, grace, kindness, gentleness and forgiveness; they are His basic attitude and behaviors toward His children, therefore, "as God in Christ has ...." we are to take on the same toward each other.
* Being people of influence -- certainly a marker of maturity, but no doubt also one that points to authenticity. "For by this time you ought to be teachers, but you have need of someone to teach you!" We reproduce what we are, not what we profess or proclaim.

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend