Friday, July 24, 2009

Me? Humble?

My wife and I talked again yesterday about humility. In part it flows from Paul's word in Philippians to consider others' needs as more important than our own -- to put others first! You can't get much more antithetical than that to a "me first!" culture. Maybe again, that's why humility is clearly one of the most accurate barometers of how we're doing in Christ-likeness. Don't imagine I'll tell you how to become humble! It's kind of like they used to say about being a member of the Brethren Churches. The moment you say "you are" -- you no longer are!

Someone said, you need to fail miserably before you discover how deeply you need God and people -- and the more you need humility in your life. If humility is a barometer, what are its barometers?

  • Thinking your opinion or behavior is superior than most others’ opinions or behavior.
  • Wanting your own way: even in the stupid, small things of life.
  • Arguing on -- even when it's obvious you’re wrong -- or when you are right, acting badly about it.
  • Inserting your opinion when its your heart people need to see.
  • Forgetting that it is God Who gives you all the stuff and gifts you "possess" and He can also take them away.
  • Using “I” much more than "you" in conversations.
  • Saying things that smack of “false humility” -- so others will really think you're really humble!
  • Making excuses when you get corrected
  • Hiding your faults
  • Being hurt when others get recognized and you don’t
  • Never volunteering to do the menial tasks (or being willing to do them when no one's watching!)

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend