Friday, July 3, 2009

The ever present religion of the Pharisees


Out in South Carolina, sitting, reading and reflecting one morning this week, I thought again of how much man desires to take on both the attitudes and approaches of the Pharisees when it comes to the spiritual life. It would help us to remember that Pharisee-ism in its essence includes:

1. Religious micturation contests (the guys will understand what I mean!) It's "I can do religion better than you can!". Comparing and contrasting with others, it is legalistic and bogus "spirituality" at the expense of others. "When they compare themselves with themselves, they show that they are without understanding". 2 Corinthians 10:12

2. Religion by the rules; "just tell me what's required!" Discipline (as good as it can be) -- to the pompous heart of a religious heart equals authenticity. But in God's economy, you never get authenticity through discipline alone. "a Pharisee....blameless!" Paul wrote in Philippians 3:6, 7

3. Religion without a heart; Jesus came quoting His Father in the OT prophecy where He declared, "this people praises Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me". (Matthew 15:18)

4. Religion with no reality; Jesus said they "place heavy burdens on others which they themselves do not carry!" He said, do what they say, but don't do as they do! These were the guys who were so "committed" that they'd dedicate certain possessions or resources "to God", resources which then could not be given or used to help their own parents! (Mark 7:11) The incurably religious are void of compassion toward people.

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend