Sunday, July 19, 2009

Evangelize the Unchurched

Thomas Rainer, in his research of unchurched people, found that:

  • 4 out of 10 unchurched people are "highly receptive to what you say about Christ".
  • 4 out of 10 people who don't know Jesus Christ want to hear: "What must I do to be saved?"
  • The majority of unchurched people have never had anyone tell them how to become a Christian.
  • Unchurched people indicate they want to have a relationship with a Christian in whom they can see Christ, ask questions, and get better acquainted.
I long for and ask God for the time when I can regularly get with people "outside the 4 walls" (church) and outside of Christ. The temptation for a solo pastor is to stick with what's expected inside the walls. The last week, I've looked for where God might open some doors -- the Chamber of Commerce meeting, 2 hours at the City Mission and their new free medical clinic, a fundraiser, an emergency call to a hospital (I'm an on-call chaplain for patients and families from out of town) -- and a meeting of the "pug club". May God shake us (me!) out of our walls and to the individuals Rainer encountered!

No comments:

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend