Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Where are the servants

It strikes me that we "full-time Christians" get so driven to do the ministry rather than equipping others to do it (Ephesians 4:11-17). I wonder -- does that directly short-circuit Christ's transformational process in people -- in developing all Christians to be servants first. ("serve" is the root word for "ministry" in all the languages I know). Instead of servants, we've now got a generation of spectators. Maybe we "full-timers" need to re-visit how deeply interconnected Jesus' ideas of serving, humility and leadership really are. Maybe then we wouldn't be looking so in vain for servants -- and leaders.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a good thought for me, thanks. Also, a cool statue! Where is this statue located? - Liz Davids

Dean O'Bryan said...

Thanks for your comment. It's in the front of Dallas Seminary's campus. I put it on my computer desktop as a reminder.

My wife Patty and I

My wife Patty and I
My best friend